Co. Roscommon is in the province of Connaught. The geographical centre of Ireland is in the county. Its county town and largest town is Roscommon. Motto of Roscommon: "Steadfast Irish heart"
Christian roots: The name Roscommon is derived from Coman mac Faelchon who built a monastery there in the 5th century. Clonmacnoise is a ruined monastery (situated in County Offaly) in Ireland on the River Shannon south of Athlone, founded in 544 by Saint Ciarán, a young man from Rathcroghan, County Roscommon. Ciaran was a student of Finian's at Clonard and in time became a teacher, himself. Columba of Iona said of Ciarán, “He was a lamp, blazing with the light of wisdom.”
SOME PRAYER POINTS for Co. Roscommon:
· Pray for HEARTS & for a HARVEST of souls in the county.
· Pray for “steadfast hearts” for believers in this county. 1 Cor 15:58 - Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
· Pray for more Ciarans! – evangelists, church planters and pioneers in the 21st Century church
· Pray for the Lord to raise up houses of prayer for Roscommon
· Give thanks for the evangelical churches in the County, a number of which are pastored by non-Irish pastors; several of these are engaging with the “What’s the Story?” outreach focus this month. Pray that searching hearts will find the Lord.